Welcome to my recipe collection.

These recipes offer a delicious mix of new and old world flavors. From the kitchens of my mother and grandmother in Transylvania to the new fusion mixes from my home kitchen in Canada. I have been inspired by the fickle tastes of my children ( vegetarian, pescatarian or whichever way the wind may blow) and my desire to become healthier without compromising taste. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Leave me comments and your favorite recipes!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

DARK BANANA BREAD

250 ml (1 cup) unbleached white flour
250 ml (1 cup) whole-wheat flour
60 ml (1/4 cup) raw wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
125 ml (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
180 ml (3/4 cup) golden honey
2 eggs beaten
250 ml (1 cup) mashed very ripe bananas (about 3)
2-3 tbsp hot water
125 ml dates or raisins

Preheat the oven to 160C (325F) Butter a 22x12 cm (9x5in) loaf pan. Combine white flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt, and soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the honeyuntil evenly mixed and just lukewarm. Add eggs and banana, combining thoroughly.
Stir in the dry ingredients in two parts, adding the hot water between additions to make a light, smooth dough. Stir in nuts or fruits as desired. Push into prepared pan, level the surface and bake 70 min, or until humped, brown and firm to the touch. Cool in the pan on a rack. Turn out, wrap well and store a day before slicing.

No comments: